With the weather being a funky mess lately, at least it is here in wonderful Pennsylvania, a cup of creamy hot cocoa is a perfect treat while you snuggle up in your blankets. There's certainly no wrong way to enjoy hot cocoa: marshmallows, whipped cream, flavored, in cookie form.
Yes, you read that correctly. You can enjoy the wonderful taste of hot cocoa in the form of a handheld cookie.
1 stick butter
12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate (you can use chips or a baking bar)
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 brown sugar
1 /12 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Melt together butter and semi-sweet chocolate. You can do this on a stove on a medium-low heat, or in the microwave on 50% power. Set aside once melted.
2. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
3. Beat together sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Add cooled chocolate-butter mix. Add in dry mix.
4. Scrape down sides of bowl, cover dough and refrigerate dough for 1 hour.
5. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or aluminum foil, shiny side down.
6. Scoop dough and roll into a ball. Flatten slightly when placed on baking sheet.
7. Bake for 12 minutes.
8. Pull cookies out, put 3-4 mini marshmallows per cookie. Bake for 2-3 minutes.
These cookies are wonderful warm, but let them sit for a few minutes. The heat from the cookies will make the marshmallows soft, and they will taste just as delicious as a cup of hot cocoa!